Saturday, July 9, 2011

Anna- KU Week 5 !!!

My first week in catering has been absolutely wonderful! As much as I have loved my last four weeks in the various areas of KUDS, catering has been my favorite. This probably has to do with the fact that I want to be a caterer in the future. Also, I got to meet with the executive chef, Janna Traver, who is an amazing person! Her passion for food was really inspiring and I hope that I can be as knowledgeable as her some day. My first day in catering we made a lot of sandwiches for the New Student Orientation lunches. I have never seen so many sandwiches and wraps made in such a short amount of time! The teamwork was great. For the most part everyone in the catering kitchen has gone to culinary school and they are all so smart and passionate about food. I got to use some really cool equipment like the buffalo chopper and the tilting skillet. I really loved every minute of it, even chopping onions! We also bacon wrapped about a million shrimp and put them on skewers for another event. For the New student Orientation dinner we made 24 trays of chicken enchiladas and they were all eaten except for maybe half a tray! I could not believe how fast the food went during the dinner! The servers just kept coming in and asking for more enchiladas, vegetable, rice and beans like every two minutes for an hour!
This week I also got to work in "Impromptu". This is the only full service restaurant on campus and it is just wonderful. The menu is very reasonably priced for the great quality the customer is getting. Also, most of the menu is vegetarian or can be made to be vegetarian. I got to work in the front of house in "Impromptu" and I learned a tremendous amount from Kim, the manager. She started as a busser just like I did so it was cool to see how far she had come. While in "Impromptu" I got to try some of there famous dishes. My favorite was the Top Shelf Grilled Cheese. It had cheddar, gouda and provolone on sourdough bread with chipotle mayonnaise and tomato. It was to die for!!!
This weekend we are going to what should be an awesome BBQ. Jim, our supervisor is gonna show off his smoker skills. It will be great to have some good authentic Kansas BBQ! Next week we are going to be in the front of house in catering. We even get to manage one the events. The event is for a really important politician, Barbara Ballard. Im nervous but I know it will go great. I look forward to learning a lot from those in charge of the front part of catering.

It has just been an awesome week!

No comments:

Post a Comment