Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Berkeley Bowl, Final Projects, and Napa Valley



This past week was really relaxed. I’m starting to finish my projects and just received a new one. I’m nearly finished with creating a Standard Operation Procedure for how hard-boiled eggs are cooked and held. My theme dinner will be coming together on Tuesday, August 2nd. I’m really excited and slightly nervous for the dinner – I’m just ready to see everything come together. My last and final project is writing up a job description for a new position that will be opening this fall. UC Berkeley is investing in a food and coffee truck to roam around campus during the day and needs an operator for. I think this is great, the only other school I know of that owns and operates its own food truck is University of Washington.


I spent Monday through Wednesday working on these projects. On Monday though, Ida Shen, our Exec Chef for Cal Dining took me to this grocery store called the Berkeley Bowl. It was amazing! It was very similar to an indoor farmers market. The amount of produce there was unbelievable. The oddest part about the store is that they want the customers to try the different produce before they buy it. One of the employees there took three different types of mangos and cut out slices and let me try them just to compare the differences.


On Thursday, myself and five others from the office, Chuck, Ida, Patrice, Alex, and Luther, took a trip to Napa Valley to visit the Culinary Institute of America and go on a wine tasting tour at Sterling Vineyards. I was in heaven when we toured the CIA. I would love to be a chef one day and the school was absolutely amazing. We were able to tour the kitchens and their lecture halls. After the CIA, we ate at this amazing restaurant called the Farmstead and then went on to tour a vineyard and try some wine. Overall, it was a perfect day! I’m nearly positive I’m going to try and move out here after graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment