Sunday, July 10, 2011

San Francisco Farmers Market



This past Saturday I was able to finally go to the infamous Farmers Market held at the Ferry Building in San Francisco. Hundreds of farmers display and sell their organic, locally grown products. Each tent offered free samples of their fruits, vegetables, cheeses, dips and spreads, oils, and honey. I naturally took advantage of these offerings and I had some of the best, most fresh fruit I’ve ever had in my life! Everything that was offered here was completely organic as well.


The place was swarming with people, each carting around their own bag of the local produce. I ended up buying a bag of some sugar snap peas because I love the vegetable and it reminds me of home (my dad has his own garden and I always eat them during the summer). I also bought a falafel with some roasted red pepper and eggplant spread. While it wasn’t the most appealing to look at, it was downright amazing. To capture this memory, I took a picture of the falafel (and some woman laughed at me when she saw me doing this).


After meandering about for an hour and sampling the fresh fruit and cheeses offered, I noticed a huge line that made its way down the pier. All the people were waiting at least a half an hour in order to get a porchetta sandwich. These sandwiches were being served by a vendor truck, Roli Roti Gourmet Rotisserie, that had 2 rotisseries built into the side of it. The sandwich was completely worth the wait. It was a big slab of porchetta on a ciabatta bun with caramelized onions, arugula, and sea salt.


Needless to say, I’ll be going to this farmers market each Saturday from now on.



No comments:

Post a Comment