Sunday, July 10, 2011

Fireworks and Catering

This week was a great week and I learned so much in the kitchen. This week was our first week in KU Catering which is a really well run catering business that has excellent food and high quality food that they take pride in, and they should because it is excellent and they make everything from scratch with cooks that know what they are doing. The week consisted of us learning more about what their work in the kitchen was and to see all the workings of making it to serving it to the customer. This was really cool to see, and we even got to have a chance to work in their new restaurant Impromptu that serves their award winning recipes and is a very successful restaurant. Looking back I think the most that I got out of this week was learning how to produce food with quality. I don’t have the much experience working with food, I just want to help people with their food choices, but being a dietetic major we are expected to be the food experts so lacking in the production area was not beneficial. Before this week I had never even made bread from scratch. So this week gave me a ton of experience doing things in the kitchen, I learned how to make bread, bake meat so it does not lose its flavor, make chicken stock and much more. I would have never had this experience unless I did work in a high class restaurant and I really loved every minute of it. If I didn’t have such a desire to be working with people in order to help them I would definitely go for a job in food production. Besides the production side we also got to see their roof top garden, which was really fun and inspiring. I’m feeling like my dorm room this year can support a few herbs ;).
At the beginning of the week I had the chance to drive 3 hours to Omaha and visit my family. It was so great to see them because I only get to see them once maybe twice a year. It was a great time with the family and it was nice to watch all the fireworks on the 4th. Definitely one of my favorite holidays! Overall this was a great week and its crazy to see what has all happened, but we are now looking forward into our 2nd week of catering where we will get to do serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment