Thursday, June 16, 2011

Anna- University of Kansas Week 2!!!


My second week has been incredible! So just a little bit about my weekend first. We were invited by our advisor here, Jim, to a "Get To Know You" bbq with a bunch of folks from KU dining services. It was a lot of fun. On Saturday, Lanie and I went to the Plaza in Kansas city which everyone kept raving about. It was a bunch of city blocks filled with stores and restaurants. The architecture was incredible. It was all Spanish style. After a busy day of window shopping and eating at a GREAT restaurant, The Classic Cup, we returned home. Sunday was a pretty laid back day.

On Monday we had the cool opportunity to go in at 5am and see how receiving shipments from Sysco goes at KU. I was really impressed with the receiving employee and her skill at keeping track of everything coming in. I was also really impressed with the driver!! He brought everything in SO fast. Next, we helped put everything away. Later we met with the head of the department and she further discussed their operation and how management works. She also gave us some great charts that helped illustrate the chain of command for us. After, a great lunch we continued to work on our recipes for the special event we get to put together. We should be testing them soon, which will be pretty cool! On Tuesday we went in a bit later, 6:30am, we got a front of the house tour from the supervisor. We got to work the breakfast line a bit, which was really intense and fast paced. Next we sat down with the supervisor and debriefed a bit. Next, we worked a few of the lunch stations. The grill was pretty awesome! It got VERY hot. Next, we got to discuss some of the questions that were going to be asked of a job candidate the next day. They were some pretty intimidating questions! On Wednesday, I got to work in the back of the house. I started out in chill foods and made a creamy spinach salad. I got to use a HUGE bowl called a bird bath. Next I got to work in bakery, which was definitely my favorite. I got to use the giant mixer and make pumpkin bars. They came out great! Next I working in hot foods, which was very intense and quick paced. I had one mishap which took a while to clean up but everyone was very nice about it. Today, we got to go in a bit later, 9am, and I got to attend a meeting with a bunch of the managers and director. It was very interesting to see how everything gets decided and the responsibilities people have for each specific part of the operation. Next, I got work in the dish room!!! It was truly unbelievable how fast everyone works in there! It was hot and the machines go so fast. It was really a lot of teamwork. It was hard to keep up with the plates coming in but I eventually got the hang of it. After lunch I got to work chill foods again and got some grapes ready for tomorrows' breakfast. I also circulated in the front of the house a bit to make sure everything in the salad bar stayed full and looking good. There was a bit of a shortage with chocolate cake, so I got to whip out my bakery skills and quickly frost some chocolate cakes. It was all very rushed but it was exhilarating! I look forward to the weekend and next week. We are going on a farm tour!!! Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment