Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Last Week at MUOhio!

My time here at Miami has gone by very quickly; I've learned a lot and had a great time doing it. My 4th and final week was spent working on special diets, working in the production kitchen, learning about the bakery, assisting with recipe testing and helping set up tastings for the new concepts to be put into the new dinning location to be built within the next few years, called Maple Street. The recipes being tested this week were for a concept called "The Americas", a location boasting delicious dishes from Central and South America. The second is called "The Patisserie" which is going to be an all-dessert extravaganza. Lastly, another item is being tested to be put in an existing location called "Scoreboard Market". A lot of time and planning (and re-planning) goes into the food that will be in these restaurants.

The recipes are designed by the chefs, then tested by members of the staff, management, and students. From there all of the feedback given is taken into consideration and the recipes are reworked and retested before being approved for use.

Another part of my week this week was being interviewed by Kathy Crowley, the Conference Sales Manager. This was a mock interview, so we acted as if I was an applicant for job as a food service manager. Although nerve racking, this was an awesome experience. Being experienced at interviewing herself, Kathy gave me some great tips such as always send a thank you note after your interview and to include something personal that will get you remembered by the interviewer. Also, she said when asked about your weaknesses make them something that is actually a strength. For example, you are too organized sometimes or you hate when people are late. How can they say no to someone who is organized and punctual?!

Overall I have had a wonderful time here at Miami and am so thankful for the hospitality shown to me by everyone here. Many of the experiences I have had here I will take with me going into my Dietetic Internship in the fall. It has been great to read about all of the other interns' activities and I wish you all the best of luck in your future!

Below are pictures of some of the foods tested. Bueno bueno bueno!
Bison Burgers!
Thai Lettuce Wraps!
Specialty Desserts!
Dessert Lasagna!

No comments:

Post a Comment