Friday, June 10, 2011

First Week

My fist week at KU has been amazing! The looooonnnngggg drive from New Jersey was totally worth it! I have learned so much in the four days I have been here, not only about the industry but the quite adorable town of Lawrence. On my first day here I met with my advisor here, Jim and the other intern, Lanie. Jim was great and very welcoming. Lanie and I get along great!! Which is awesome because I could have gotten stuck with someone who was not so awesome. Also, I saw my room!!! I have never lived away from home so having my own dorm room feels pretty cool!!
During the first day of work Lanie and I met with Jim so he could go over what our two months would be like and the fun projects that were going to be expected of us. Then we met with Lisa K. who showed us all about the SHOWTIME program and the CBORD system. Lanie and I also had a chance to talk about the special"Break the monotony" night we get to put together for the Mrs.E's dining hall. We came up with a pretty awesome theme... but I am not going to share it just yet. Later, Lanie and I took a two hour walk exploring some of campus and Lawrence and we also got to know each other a bit more. The following day was very busy and filled with meeting the amazing people of KU dining services who work so hard to make KUDS the best it can be. Later that day, Jim took Lanie and I for a tour of beautiful Lawrence. We quickly discovered that the two hour walk we took barley covered all the things we could do and see here. Thursday we met with several people in the Union building and Alecia took us to see all of the retail locations around campus. After work, Lanie and I went to Noodles and Company!! We also walked around Mass Ave (the main street here) We found the coolest bookstore called, The Dusty Bookshelf, (and it certainly was) that was chock FULL of books. Lanie got a GRE book :/, and I got a book from around 1930. We also checked out a video store and the Gap (and got some awesome deals).
Today, was a pretty laid back day but still very productive. We further worked into the recipes we want to do for our "Break the Monotony" night. We also met with the marketing department and learned a lot about how important marketing is to KU dining.

Oh and also somewhere in there we watched Some Like It Hot and The Wizard of Oz.

It has been an incredible week!

No comments:

Post a Comment