Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Week 2 in Wisconsin!

Hi!

My name is Karenae from New York, and I have already am beginning my second week here at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point. My arrival was crazy with my flight being delayed because of the weather and then coming to the city a day later than planned. With that, my first week was very busy with a variety of different activities. Throught the first week I was rotated around the dining hall to the different stations. One of my favorites was making pizza because the school has its very own pizza oven! I have never seen this before at a college so I had alot of fun working there. I alos got the chance to shadow the opening manager and help them to get the place running. Throughout the summer there are various camps as well as orientations, so the place is always busy. On Friday of last week I got to help cater a wedding which was really fun as well. It was a very small 100 people wedding, and I got help out pick out decorations and take part in another aspect of what the school offers.

The one thing that I found different about University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, is that the dining services is student run. This means that students have the chance to become managers and can take alot mroe responsibiliteis than students that I have seen at other institutions. I have been cooking and doing multiple tasks, while at my job at home I am given one job and that is all that I do. This internship has been giving me alot of insight to all of the different jobs that make a dining facility run.

This week I will be working in cafe which sells coffee and smoothies so I am sure that will be great as well. I am really looking forward to it.

Even though Stevens Point is a really small city, I found that it isn't as boring as I thought it would be. For one, I went on a bike ride through the Green Circle Trail, which is a trail that goesa around the county of Portage, which the city is in. It was very calming and allowed me to see a part of the city that I hadn't seen on campus or working. I have also been making great friends with my coworkers since alot of them are students at the school, so that is nice too.

I took some pictures, but my laptop isn't working at the moment. Pictures are to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment