Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Into Week 3 at Yale!

I can't believe how quickly the time is passing!

After my original orientations, everything has become a lot busier. I get to work at 8:30am every day & work until 4:30pm, with a half hour lunch. Some of my regular tasks include inputting new recipes into the system on the computers so that all of the dining facilities across campus have easy access to them for ordering and prep purposes. I've also been updating the fall menus. Yale is trying to change their recipes so that everything is made from scratch and trying to choose as many healthy options as possible. This means that a lot of the old recipes used throughout the school year have had to be changed or thrown out altogether. Since many people are in charge of what is served in each dining facility (and those particular people vary according the dining facility), every time someone different looks at the menu and decides that certain recipes don't belong here or would go better here or compliment this recipe better... it means that I have to change the menu in the system, which can be quite time consuming. I've also been attending meetings with the chefs to try and sort everything out and make sure we are putting the correct information into the systems. It can get tricky, though, because the summer is the perfect time to try out all the new recipes (since there's next to no students on campus), so sometimes they haven't tested the recipe quite yet. As they are testing the recipes they've been bringing some of the product to the business office for all the upper management (& me!) to try, so that's been a lot of fun. I've been enjoying attending the meetings because I'm learning all kinds of things about cooking, baking, the organization of foodservice, the responsibilities of chefs and how complex the system can be. Since I've been working with the recipes, I've been getting to know them pretty well, so I can often participate in the meetings which really helps me feel like I'm contributing to Yale Dining as a whole.

My main project throughout my placement is updating the nutritional information in the system. I've been getting into that a little more thoroughly lately as well. I go through the recipes & make sure that the nutritional analysis is correct and if I don't think it is, I flag it and write down what I think is wrong so that upper management can go over it. I've also been making note of the recipes I think could be tweaked to be healthier (example, lower fat and Calories by exchanging margarine for shortening) or recipes that I think they might like to toss altogether because they have a very high amount of saturated fat or sodium, for example. It's been a really great learning experience because I've been able to build on my nutrition background and get a better understanding of the make-up of different foods.

Outside of work has been a lot of fun, too. This past weekend I spent a day in New York City, since it's only a 2 hour train ride from New Haven, CT. I'd never been before, it's such a pretty city! So much life and excitement. I also spent a day with my sort-of supervisor at a family gathering. Since I'm not from anywhere around here I don't know anyone, so I've loved how inclusive everyone is to me. I've been seeing a lot of the area and meeting many new & interesting people.

I'm staying in one of the 12 residential colleges at Yale, Berkeley College. It's located in the center of campus so it couldn't be more convenient. There are some things about living in residence (such as the noise) that I don't miss from my first year, but for the most part it's really good.

I still can't get over how beautiful the campus is. I like to explore in the evenings or on weekends and I thought by now I would be used to the intricate architecture and trees & flower beds everywhere, but I'm not yet. I hope I never do, I love walking around campus in awe and appreciation.

I think that pretty much covers it for now. I'll try to write again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment