Saturday, June 11, 2011

Welcome to Miami!

Welcome to Miami! And what a warm welcome it has been! Throughout my first week at the internship I have done everything from recipe testing and marketing to working with the housekeeping staff and attending managerial meetings. One of the highlights of my week was working with Emily, the head pastry chef here at the university, along with some of her colleagues, to conduct a Culinary Day Camp that will soon become a weekly activity for campers over the summer. This week each camper got to make their own smoothie while learning about its’ nutritional values. Next week they will learn to decorate their very own applesauce cake (a healthy and delicious twist on a traditional cake made with butter).

Also here at Miami, there is a group of four chefs attending a culinary competition at UMASS Amherst in Massachusetts. The competition consists of using a set of mystery ingredients to create a platter, an entrée, an appetizer, and a dessert and this week marks their last chance to run through their strategy for the competition on June 17th. Thankfully I had the privilege of attending part of this practice and trying the finished products (some of which are pictured below) which were all delicious!

As for the town of Oxford and surrounding areas, the best place I have been so far (and a must see for foodies like me!) is Jungle Jim’s in Fairfield, Ohio. What an amazing place! Jungle Jim’s variety of foods is something to see including about a hundred different types of cheese and the most impressive international foods section I have ever seen. One of my favorite parts was the hot sauce! Two full isles full of different types of hot sauces…Awesome? I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment