Wednesday, June 22, 2011

First few days @ SUNY Geneseo!

My first few days here in Geneseo, NY have been busy, but awesome.

I got in Monday afternoon and got settled, followed by a fantastic dinner at The Big Tree Inn with Jonna, the Executive Chef at SUNY Geneseo Campus Auxiliary Services (CAS), and Rhonda, the HR Director at CAS.

Tuesday started off with meeting a bunch of the management and culinary team. I'm good with names, but I think I may have reached my threshold for memory! As the day went on, it became easier to remember who does what as well as figuring out everyone's little personality quirks.

Then we started preparing for the lunch service for the transfer student orientations. I assisted in preparing some pizzas - which reminded me of my very first food service job at Carson's Carryout at UW-Madison! After putting some pizzas together, we had a product testing with US Foods. Fish for breakfast was interesting, but I got to try some pretty unique products.

During lunch, I helped out at the Pan Pacific station, dishing out General Tso's Chicken to hungry patrons. I haven't had much practice with that type of service, so it was a great learning experience!

Today was a quieter day - no orientation happening. I toured CAS's Restaurants and Cafes with Barb, Lisa, and Rita and learned what food service looks like through the eyes of a manager. After that, I tried to learn the ropes of product ordering with Frank and occasionally Bob, the Chef Managers. There was a lot to digest, but hopefully I'll be able to remember it for my Inventory and Ordering rotations.

Until next time!
-Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment