Monday, June 13, 2011

MSU NACUFS Blog, catch up..

Thursday, June 9, 2011


pix from sausage tasting

Here are a couple of pictures from the Johnsonville tasting that I just got from Sonia. I think I had just tried the apple chicken sausage in that first picture because thats the only one I remember not liking..


This second one is Christianna and I with all the sausage samples taking notes.




These past couple days I have been continuing to work on my projects.  We have to get all caught up becuase Paul is on vacation next week.  I'm gonna post again tomorrow more about what I have been getting done but I wanted to put these pictures up!




Tuesday, June 7, 2011


hit the ground running

So first thing Monday morning Paul had us pick which projects we will be working on for the Summer.  I will be working on

-Helping finalize the late night menu for Miller Dining and entering it into Computrition
-The waffles...ohhh the waffles
-Helping select and coordinate new ice cream novelties
-and a Good source specialty order
-Also, I am responsible for the follow-ups for select meetings the first of which was today! Back to that in a sec..

I am really excited about each of my projects and so far so good! You may be thinking how is all of that going to fill up 2 months of time, yea I did too, but now I have a billion things to do!

Today the representative for Johnsonville was here and we tasted a bunch of different sausages.  It was really cool but now I'm so sick of it and I have a bunch of leftovers in my fridge! Then we sat down to discuss the plans for the new football concessions, then went to lunch with the Johnsonville rep. and the broker (forgot to mention he came too) then we met with Rick to talk about summer fair, thennnn it was 5:00. Where did the day go!

I stayed til 7 to catch up on my project lists and read through an e-mail so that I have a jump on tomorrow.  I am learning so much and really enjoying this experience.  It's great to have the opportunity to work independantly but also have Paul available for guidance. 

I wish the weather was nice like this past weekend tho :( ugh rain!

Sunday, June 5, 2011


Settling In :)

So I've survived my first week (well half week) of the internship and spent my first weekend here in Bozeman!

We did SO MUCH in just the first 3 days. 

Day 1 we met at the Student Union Building (SUB) and went over the expectations of the internship, our projects, and the schedule, we toured parts of the campus, met a bunch of people, and did some paperwork.

Day 2 we learned how to use Microsoft Outlook, set up our e-mail accounts and blogs, and helped the catering department with an event.  In the afternoon we got into some Purchasing stuff and learned about Brokers, Manufacturers, & Distributors particularly the ones that we will be working with here at MSU.  It really made me realize even more  so how the majority of our food supply is controlled by a very limited number of companies (Nestle, Con Agra, & Tyson...not to name any names) Its a little frightening.  We had to pause to have a meeting with EcoLab representatives because Food Services of America (our major distributor) may or may not continue to distrubute them, kinda a big problem. More to come on that I'm sure.

Day 3 we started to use Computrtion and Star Solutions, I'm sure I will be spending a lot of time with these programs the next couple months.  We then had to head over to one of the dining facilities on campus called Miller to do some taste testing so they can start to fill their menu holes for the fall.  I think we tried around 15 different things including 4 different cupcakes. I was very full but it was very fun! Below is a picture of the 4 different cupcakes, once was like and almond joy with coconut in the middle the second (clockwise) was a neopolitan, the third was cherry and the fourth was like a creamcicle.



After that we got to go up to the SUB to pick up some food for the weekend.  The we headed back down to the office to finish up with Computrition.


Each day was non-stop 7-5 so I'm probably forgetting some of the stuff we did.  I'm gonna try to keep up better with the blog now that I'm all settled in. It feels good to be so busy and I'm really excited about the next couple months. 


Friday night Christianna (the other intern) and I decided to check out the Bozeman nightlife, Saturday we hiked "the M".  I had a hard time with the elevation but we are going to do it a couple more times I think and it should get easier! A little info about the M  The picture is me at the top!




Today I sleptttttt in then walked downtown.  There are some very cool little shops and bunch of resturaunts I would like to try! Then I went and layed on the grass on campus (the campus here is BEAUTIFUL) the went for a run/walk (still havin a hard time with the elevation).


I have a feeling this next week is going to be very intense but I'm ready and I cant wait to get started on some projects!


Time for bed, Goodnight :)

Wednesday, June 1, 2011


First Day!

Welcome to my NACUFS Summer Foodservice Management Internship Blog!

Today is my first day, more to come... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment